Apple has introduced iOS14 as its new mobile operating system. The new iOS version has a number of interface level changes, including an app library and redesign widgets. The iOS14 update comes with picture-in-picture (PiP) support, allowing you to play videos above your screen. Also, Apple has introduced upgraded Siri, which no longer has a full-screen interface and can now bring widgets to any screen. Apart from this, a translation app has also been added to iOS14, which offers side-by-translation in two different languages. This will challenge Google Translate. The new update of iOS14 also includes the New Message Experience, which offers new memos, including face mask support.
IOS 14 will work in these devices
The new iOS14 will work on all iPhones that are compatible with iOS 13. This means that the new iOS version will work with older iPhone 6s up to the new iPhone SE (2020). iOS14 compatible devices include iPhone SE (2020), iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone SE.
New features of iOS14
- One of the biggest changes to iOS14, introduced as an upgrade to iOS13, is the addition of the App Library view, which automatically groups several apps on a single screen. It gives the feel of having multiple folders on the home screen.
- Apple’s Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi announced the app library on iOS 14, stating that – we created an easy way to hide pages.
- It has a “jiggle mode” that allows to hide various pages from the home screen and send them to the app library view. This mode appears when tapping the bottom dots on one of your home screen pages in the edit view. Overall, the App Library view looks like an app drawer on Android devices.
- Along with the app library, iOS14 offers redesigned widgets that users can place on any home screen page. It also has a widget gallery, which is found in the edit view at the top of the screen, for this you have to tap the plus button given on the top left. In addition, you can adjust the widget size to adjust with your existing app icons and folders.
- Apple has also introduced a smart stack feature that displays various widgets throughout the day.
- IOS14 for Video Lovers offers Picture-in-Picture (PiP) support, which allows you to access apps on your iPhone while watching a video or talking on a FaceTime call.
- It gives the same experience as PiP on Android devices. However, it also has pinch-to-zoom support, so the PiP view also works on Apple apps. To hear the audio of the video, you can swipe the PiP window to the side.
- A iOS14 introduced Siri with a new look. Which appears at the bottom of the display instead of capturing the entire screen of the device. Federighi said that this year we have redesigned the Siri Experience with a completely new compact design.
- Apple has also extended the Siri Experience internally. The company claims that voice assistants now work 20 times more accurately than three years ago. Now it also answers difficult questions, such as how do hybrid cars work?
- Siri has also been upgraded with the ability to send audio messages by recording audio from iPhone, you do not need to open the Voice Memo app. On dictation support is also available in the device.
New Translate App
- Apple has also introduced a new Translate app, which will challenge Google Translate and allows the user to translate between different languages. Also which offers side-by-translation in two different languages.
- The app currently supports 11 languages, including English, Mandarin Chinese, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Portuguese, and Russian. Currently no Indic language will be found in it – not even Hindi.
- The update iOS14 will get a new message experience on iPhone with the ability to pin your favorite conversion. There are also new emoji stickers and 20 new hair and headwear styles for Memoji. Apple has also brought a face mask option, which you can add to your memoji character.
- Apple Maps has also received an update with curated guides on iOS14. It also comes with cycling support, which will initially be limited to the Bay Area of New York City, Los Angeles and San Francisco, as well as Beijing and Shanghai. In addition, Apple Maps includes a new EV routing feature, designed specifically for electric vehicle owners.
- The new iOS14 also includes an updated App Store, supporting App Clips, which aims to reduce clutter on your iPhone and provide you with a standalone experience without having to install the entire app.
- App Clips works with a dedicated App Clips code which is very similar to traditional QR code. Developers will be able to include the app clip code in any QR code or any NFC tag.
Upgraded find my
Apple has also included a supported Find My to find third-party products and accessories, which are a part of the new Find My Network accessory program. There is also a new Safari with Privacy Report feature, which allows you to see which cross-site trackers have been blocked.
A password monitoring is also included to help the browser detect the saved password of the user, which may be included in the data breech. Additionally, there is built-in translation support for webpages.