Atal Tunnel, the world’s largest highway tunnel at an altitude of more than 10,000 feet, was inaugurated today by the Prime Minister and the Minister of Defense.
The tunnel will reduce the distance between Manali and Leh, and the question of whether the road between Manali and Leh was closed in winter will be resolved. The opening of Tunnel will be of great benefit to the tourists. While the movement of defense materials and troops along the Ladakh border will also become faster and smoother.
9.02 km The tunnel was constructed by the Border Roads Organization of the Indian Department of Defense. On this occasion, the Prime Minister criticized the Congress, saying that the Congress government was in power from 2004 to 2014, but he never gave priority to the security of the nation, so he did not allow the tunnel to be ready.
The road from Manali to Leh is very popular among tourists. But the road has to be closed for four to six months in winter due to freezing snow. But this tunnel has been working for many months, so now it is possible to travel uninterruptedly. The tunnel will save 46 km and five hours in travel between Manali and Leh.
The tunnel was started by Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 2002. The tunnel was barely 1300 meters long by the time the Congress government came to power. Modi said that if only the Congress government had been formed, this talaan would have been completed in 2040. Explaining the strategic importance of the tunnel, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh said that food and water supplies could be sent quickly to the troops on duty at the border.
The tunnel was decided by Prime Minister Vajpayee at the suggestion of Arjun Gopal, a native of Tashi Dobhe village in Lahore area and a friend of Vajpayee. But the two became friends in Gujarat. “Our father suggested Vajpayeeji for the tunnel,” said Amar Singh and Ram Dev, sons of Arjun Gopal. “Our father Arjun Gopal knew Vajpayee well before independence,” he said. Vajpayee and Arjun Gopal, who were entering their youth for the first time, met in 1942 when there was a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh camp in Vadodara. That Dosji was maintained for life. After becoming the Prime Minister, Atal Bihari took up the work of the tunnel on the instructions of Arjun Gopal.
Atal Tunnel: The Wonders of Engineering
- There are many highway tunnels in the world that are built at an altitude of more than ten thousand feet, this is the longest. The length is 9.02 kilometers.
- The southern end of the tunnel is 25 kilometers from Manali. The northern end is near Sissu village in a valley called Lahore Valley. Lahore and Spiti Valley can now be reached in just one hour from Manali, which used to take four to six hours.
- 3300 crore has been spent behind the tunnel which is 18 feet high.
- The tunnel has a 26 feet wide highway for driving and also has sidewalks on both sides.
- There is an escape tunnel under the tunnel in addition to ventilation system, CCTV camera, medical facility for air circulation. The escape tunnel is small, which can be used to escape in case of emergency.
- Telephone facility is fitted every 150 meters.